BrowZine Features

1. Enable "Universal Links" for BrowZine

I'm suggesting that you enable Universal Links. On a device with the BrowZine app, a BrowZine Web (https) link to an article or journal would open in the app instead of the browser.

A similar idea was posted and closed a few years ago (https://support.thirdiron.com/forums/181845-browzine-features/suggestions/6675132-create-persistent-links-to-open-within-browzine). But it was not fully implemented.

More about this here: http://bula.us/SomeLinks.html.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In addition to BrowZine search results, include further option "None of these? Search your library catalogue"

If a user performs a search in BrowZine and BrowZine finds no results, the user will be presented with a link saying 'No matches for “XXXXX”. Title may not be BrowZine enabled at this time, but still available at your library. Please click here to search for your title again at your library.'

This option to search in your library holdings this option is only presented if BrowZine finds NO matches to the search. If BrowZine finds any matches - either in journals supported by BrowZine, or journals not supported by BrowZine - then the only options are those presented…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include Abstact Images in the ToC

Enable images associated with the abstracts to be visible in the ToC. This is especially import for chemistry journals, as the abstract images contain significantly more information than the title.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow customizable journal title selection for the widget

It would be useful to be able to select specific titles to be displayed on the widget. This would mean they could be in different subject areas, allow more personalized choices, and avoid embargoed titles.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Sub-collection

In My Articles allow me to create a sub-collections under a main collection. For example Under Cystic Fibrosis allow sub-collections for diagnosis, treatment, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Switch the default order of journals in subjects

At the moment, if a user clicks on a subject the default order is alphabetical which to me does not seem very useful for browsing. If the user had known the title he would have entered it into the search slot (that works very well!) I would prefer having the journals ordered by SJR value instead so I can see more important journals in a field I'm perhaps not very experienced with (as I don't know many journal titles ...)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export bookshelves and article collections

It would be very useful to be able to export a complete bookshelf or article collection to a list of URL's and to a libguide table.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. enable multiple holding years to be displayed on Journal titles.

Some titles may have broken holdings years (e.g. 1990-2005, 2011-present) and it would be good to have a way to display this information in BrowZine records.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Include basic PDF markup capabilities in Browzine

It'd be great to be able to do basic markup in the PDF view in Browzine—even just highlighting would be fantastic. A lot of academics like to mark up PDFs while reading and then store the marked-up version in a Zotero or Mendeley library. Browzine is fantastic at retrieving and then uploading to a personal library, but the middle markup step is missing. I used to be able to make it work with Papership or Zotfile, both of which are now defunct. I can export to iAnnotate or some other annotation app, but I can't then get it into Zotero…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add drag and drop to My Bookshelf within BrowZine on the web

Add a similar experience that mobile enjoys to the web version of BrowZine to allow users to re-arrange their Bookshelf via a simple drag and drop interface.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Include More Detailed Print Availability Information

Show which issues are available in print form and include notes to indicate their physical location.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide the month and page numbers for journal articles. I usually search by month, not issue number.

Please include the month and page numbers for articles in the Available Issues dropdown. It is difficult to search for articles by journal issue number. Most MDs I know refer to an article by the month it was published in a particular journal - eg - "the December issue of JCO." It is tedious opening and closing each issue of a journal to find one particular article that I am look for.
    Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow for custom upload of dummies to represent titles the library subscribe to, but are not available yet via Browzine

While we know that Browzine could link back to the A-Z list if a user searched for title that's not available in Browzine, we are concerned that actual browsing could be misleading, because users might think this is all that's available and not put in a search. We'd like to have a way to represent ALL of our holdings - including titles Browzine does not offer. If there is a way to custom create dummies by uploading a list, that would resolve the problem, even if they are not as pretty and reflect the actual journal cover.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Display not only articles, but also the section they belong to in TOC

Many journals have their articles grouped into different types (e.g. Research Article, Book Review, Original Research Article, Review Article etc.). In the original TOC of the journal this is visible and helps the reader to separate the different types of articles. However, in BrowZine this information gets lost. Is the a possibility to retain it? It would be a great help for our users.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Change system message when there's no match for a title or the title has no ISSN

If I search for a title in any of these categories

* Not included in our BrowZine instance
    * Not included in our OCLC A-Z list
    * Does not have an ISSN

I receive this message:

"No matches for <title>. Title may not be BrowZine enabled at this time, but still available at your library. Please click here to search for your title again at your library."

I would like for it to read:

"No matches for <title>. Please click here to search for the title in your library's journals list."

Please either change the message globally or allow customization…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Saving to My Articles could be more intuitive

When adding an article to "My Articles" I was given the choice of "General collection" or "Create a new collection" in the pop-up box. I clicked the check-mark next to General Collection and clicked done, and the article didn't save to my articles. Turns out by clicking the checkmark I'd un-checked it meaning there was no collection selected to save it to, so it didn't save. It shouldn't have let me do this and/or should have warned me.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Filter Out "Accepted Manuscripts" from BrowZine until there is actual content available

Some publishers like Oxford and IEEE sometimes produce an "article in press" which does not lead to full text since the publisher has not yet posted the document. Suppress these items from BrowZine, if possible, so that users being alerted about their existence don't waste time chasing items not yet available.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. unread

Toggle for display "All" vs "Unread Only".

For some journals (e.g. Open Access journals like eLife or the Frontiers journals), the number of articles per issue can get huge, and BrowZine appears to sort them alphabetically by title. This can make finding the unread articles (with a blue dot) time consuming. It would be easier if it were possible to toggle between displaying only unread articles vs all articles.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

BrowZine Features

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base