Third Iron and OCLC work together to automatically sync holdings for our mutual customers.
To get started, please do the following:
1. In the WorldShare interface, click the Metadata tab.
2. In the left navigation, click Collection Manager.
3. Click Settings in the Collection Manager submenu
4. Click on "Proxy and Authentication”
5. Select the “Download Authentication” tab. You will be provided with the KBART txt file location, as well as choose whether to limit download access by IP range.
6. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining you are setting up OCLC automated holdings. You will need to provide the KBART file location url. If you choose to limit Download Access by IP then please also request the IP address for our Third Iron servers.
7. Next, within about 10 days, Third Iron will have automated access to your holdings files. We will confirm once the initial file has been pulled and processed. From there forward, the file will be pulled and processed automatically on a monthly basis.
For OCLC, the procedure is simply to navigate in the admin panel in your Worldcat Knowledge base or WorldShare Management Services Interface as shown in the steps and screenshot below.
1. Go to Settings
2. Click on Metadata
3. Click on My Files and choose Downloads
4. Choose KBART
5. Click on Download
6. Save Text File
7. Zip the file to reduce its size. If the zipped file is over 30MB then you will need to either reduce the file size by manually editing the file, or use a large file sending service to send the file to us. Read about both options below.
Reducing the file size:
OCLC files contain ebooks as well as ejournals. Since BrowZine does not work with ebooks, you can reduce the file size by stripping out the ebook content. If you use Microsoft Excel to do this, please see our instructions for how to edit the file so that the ISSN formatting stays intact. Those instructions may be found here:
When finished (meaning once you have a file that is less than 30MB), please visit our Holdings Upload Page to upload the zipped file to us.
We will notify you as soon as your holdings have been loaded for your library.
Using a large file sending service:
Instead of editing the ebook content from the file, you're welcome to use a large file sending service, which does not have restrictions on file size. Please use a service that you are familiar with, such as:
- Dropbox - please message us at email@example.com with the file location url
- Google Drive - please message us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the file location url
We will then notify you when your holdings have been loaded for your library.